Verb phrases and their usage in English
Synthesis all about phrasal verbs: Concept, classification and usage of phrasal verbs in English He helps you to systematize your grammar knowledge in the most complete and detailed way
If you often watch movies, read books or communicate in English with native speakers, you will find them very interesting. use Phrasal Verbs to express instead of using only one verb. And we also often encounter them in English tests. Realizing that this is an important grammar topic, Team Aland English has synthesized the knowledge of this topic to help you more convenient in your work and study.
1. DEFINITIONS OF VERBS (PHRASAL VERBS)
Phrasal verbs (Phrasal verbs) is a combination of a verb and a small word (particle) . This small word, particle(s), can be an adverb, a preposition, or both:
Ex: The rich man gave away most of his fortune.
(The rich man gave most of his fortune to the poor.)
2. HOW TO USE VERB Phrase
Role of Verb Phrase:
Transitive verb (transitive): followed by a noun or a pronoun with a function is the object of the verb. Intransitive: no object followed.
A. VERB: Intransitive phrasal verbs
No object – verbs with the same particle (usually adverb) always go together:
The magazine Time comes out once a week
Our car broke down and had to be towed to a garage
(Our car broke down and had to be repaired)
Like regular intransitive verbs, which do not have an object, this phrasal verb cannot be used in the passive voice. (passive) so you don’t hear the locals say
“Our car was broken down…”, “The magazine Time is coming out…”
Some common intransitive phrasal verbs : break down, come back, fall through, get by, get up, go on, grow up, look out, show up, shut up, sit down, stand up, stay on, take o, turn up, watch out…< /p>
➦ Download the full set of 800 popular Phrasal Verbs: HERE
B. VERB: Transitive phrasal verbs
Divided into TWO GROUPS, depending on the position of the object:
GROUP 1: can be in the middle of the verb:
GROUP 1: can be in the middle of the verb from and ‘particle’ or after ‘particle’:
I took my shoes o./ I took o my shoes.
( I take off my shoes.)
He admitted he’d made up the whole thing./ He admitted he’d made the whole thing up.
(He admits he made up everything.)
GROUP 2: But when the object is a pronoun ( For words like this, that, it, them,me,her and him, this pronoun will be placed between the verb and ‘particle’:
I took them o. (NOT I took o them) He admitted he’d made it up can be both transitive or intransitive, the context tells us the functions and their meanings.
The plane took o at seven o’clock.
(The plane took off at 7:00.)
He took o his hat and bowed politely as the teacher passed. .)
I am taking this Friday o to get something done around the house
been taken o the medication.
(She just stopped taking the medication.)
Son takes o his English teacher perfectly.
( Son takes o his English teacher perfectly. imitate a very talented English teacher.)
Inner verb phrase:
That old Jeep had a tendency to break down just when I needed it the most.
catch on< /em>
Popular songs seem to catch on in California first and then spread eastward.
Father promised that we would never come back to this horrible place.
< p>come in
They tried to come in through the back door, but it was locked .
to wake up
He was hit on the head very hard, but after several minutes, he started to come to again.
The children promised to come over,
ut they never do.
We used to just drop by, but they were never home, so we stopped doing that.
eat at a restaurant< /p>
When we visited Paris, we loved eating out in the sidewalk cafes.
xoay sở (tài chính)
Uncle Heine didn”t have much money, but he always seemed to get by without borrowing money from relatives.
dậy, trở dậy
Grandmother tried to get up, but the couch was too low, and she couldn”t make it on her own.
It”s hard to imagine that we will ever go back to Lithuania.
He would finish one Dickens novel and then just go on to the next.
go on (2)
The cops heard all the noise and stopped to see what wasgoing on.
trưởng thành, lớn lên
Charles grew up to be a lot like his father.
remain at a distance
The judge warned the stalker to keep away from his victim”s home.
keep on (with gerunr)
with the same
He tried to keep on singing long after his voice was ruined.
ngất, bất tỉnh
He had drunk too much; he passed out on the sidewalk outside the bar.
Whenever he sat down at the piano, we knew he was going to show off.
Day after day, Efrain showed up for class twenty minutes late.
I woke up then the rooster crowed.
1. He drives so quickly that I am afraid that one day he will_______ someone crossing the street.
a. crash down b. knock down c. turn over d. run across
2. Hello. Is that 956782? Please put me_______ the manager.
a. across b. up c. over d. through
3. The three friends all_______ for the same job.
a. requested b. intended c. applied d. referred
4. I don’t think he will ever get_______ the shock of his father”s death.
a. over b. through c. by d. off
5. The company is aiming to push_______ its share of car sales to 25% over the next two years.
a. on b. up c. out d. though
6. The child hurt himself badly when he fell _______ the bedroom window.
a. out from b. out of c. down d. over
7. Don’t worry about trying to catch the last train home, as we can easily_______ you up for the night.
a. take b. set c. put d. keep
8. I am late because my alarm clock didn”t _______ this morning.
a. come on b. ring out c.
Đang xem: Cụm đông từ là gì
Xem thêm: Văn Tự Sự Là Gì – Thế Nào Là Văn Tự Sự
Xem thêm: Ffmpeg Là Gì – Hướng Dẫn Tìm Hiểu Ffmpeg Cơ Bản
go off d. turn on
9. He”s such a naughty child” it”s amazing what his mother lets him_______ away with.
a. go b. make c. do d. get
10. The factory paid_______ nearly a million pounds to their employees injured in the explosion.
a. out b. in c. off d. back
11. My daughter often_______ to see me at lest once a week.
a. calls up b. drops in c. goes up d. comes on
12. I think he is unwell; he was complaining_______ a headache this morning.
a. of b. at c. from d. against
13. I saw a thief take Tom”s wallet so I ran _______ him, but I couldn”t catch him.
a. into b. over c. near d. after
14. If it”s raining tomorrow, we shall have top put_______ the match till Sunday.
a. off b. away c. in d. on
15. There was a big hole is the rod which _______ the traffic.
a. kept down b. held up c. stood back d. sent back
16. She applied for training as a pilot, but they turned her _______ because of her poor eyesight.
a. up b. back c. down d. over
17. These old houses are going to be _______ soon.
a. laid out b. run down c. knocked out d. pulled down
18. I can”_______ what he”s doing, it’s so dark down there.
a. see through b. make out c. look into d. show up
19. Having looked the place _______, the gang went away to make their plans.
a. over b. through c. down d. out
20. Take the number 7 bus and get_______ at Forest Road.
a. up b. down c. off d. outside
ĐÁP ÁN: Exercise 1
Chúc các bạn học tốt phần cụm động từ này.
➦ Download trọn bộ lý thuyết cụm động từ : TẠI ĐÂY
➦ Download 200 câu bài tập cụm động từ: TẠI ĐÂY